Put a twist on your Christmas dinner this year by offering your guests this moist Christmas turkey roll created by chef Tom Kerridge. It features a crunchy topping and a bacon stuffing.
For the crumble topping
For the stuffing mix
For the turkey
1. For the crumble topping, crush the pork scratchings and the sourdough pieces in a bowl. Add the pistachios, cranberries and thyme. Mix with your hands and set aside in a covered container.
2. For the stuffing, mix all ingredients together apart from the bacon.
3. Trim any bits of fat or membrane from the turkey. With a sharp knife, open out the turkey breast as if you are butterflying it. Place the turkey between two sheets of cling film and flatten it out a little with a rolling pin.
4. Cut two large pieces of aluminium foil and lay the turkey breast on top. Season with salt and pepper. Spread a generous dollop of the stuffing mix in a 5mm/1/4in layer onto the turkey breast and then use the foil to help you roll it up like a Swiss roll. Completely encase the turkey in the two layers of foil and secure with cook’s string at regular intervals along the length of the roll. Place in the fridge until needed.
5. Preheat the oven to 120C/250F/Gas1/2.
6. Add 400ml/14floz boiling water to a deep roasting tin. Place a wire rack in the tin and place the rolled turkey breast on top. Cover the roasting tin with aluminium foil.
7. Roast in the oven for 1 1/2 – 2 hours, then check the core temperature with a meat thermometer. You are looking fora temperature of 70C/160F. If it is not ready, place back into the oven and continue to cook. Once cooked, remove from the oven, cover with aluminium foil and set aside to rest for 40 minutes. When cool, remove the string and foil.
8.For the stuffing, preheat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas 3 and line a terrine mould or flameproof bowl with the streaky bacon, leaving some excess hanging over the sides. Pack the mould with the remaining stuffing mix and wrap the bacon over the top.
9. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes, or until the middle has reached 70C/160F on a meat thermometer. When cooked, remove from the oven and set aside to rest for 20 minutes.
10. After 20 minutes, turn out the stuffing and pat dry. Heat the grill to hot, then grill the stuffing until the bacon is crisp.
11. When rested, remove the turkey from the roasting tin and brush a thick layer of brown sauce over the top. Cover with the Christmas crumble mix, top with a little orange zest and serve straight away with the stuffing.
Connect with us
View by date
Feng shui can easily be incorporated into any home, creating a better quality of energy. So, just what is feng shui? Developed over 3,000 years ago in China, Feng shui teaches people how they can balance the energies in any space with the arrangement of objects. This could be a home, office or garden. In …Read more...
Sainsbury’s has been crowned as the cheapest supermarket. A study by the Which? Consumer group revealed that the supermarket chain came top after tracking thousands of branded grocery prices across the six major supermarket chains throughout 2019. The data was collected by monitoring online pricing of branded items that were available in all supermarket chains; …Read more...
Vegetable curry You don’t need to give up your curry nights just yet; stay on track with your healthy eating plan with this low-fat, vegetarian dish. Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 35 minutes Serves: 4 Nutrition: 207kcal per serving Ingredients 1-2 tbsp red Thai curry paste 500ml low-sodium vegetable stock 2 onions, chopped …Read more...
Excitement is already building for the 92nd Academy Awards which take place on 9th February; but just who are in the running to pick up a coveted trophy? The Academy Awards honours the best films of the year and this year’s event will take place at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, at …Read more...
The season of goodwill to all men has passed, so how about a few days of goodwill to you? Here’s some suggestions for a few days away, whether you fancy chilling out, the call of the wild, or a gin-fuelled bonanza! Congratulations! You did it… you survived Christmas and the new year with your sanity, …Read more...